Construction Photos and Commentary

Brake system    Canard    Canopy    Cockpit    Firewall Forward    Dual Flight Controls

Fuel System    Instrument Panel    Main Wing   Fairings & NACA ducts    Tail Wheel

Tail-Cone/Rudder    Belly Board     Wheel Pants     External Finishing    Q2/200 Parts List

Pitot-Static System    Essential Tools    Things I wish I'd done differently


Builder's Log


May 21, 2015: Have almost finished the checkout of the electrical/avionics systems. The LED strobes and NAV lights flash and shine brightly, both fuel pumps clatter loudly, both headsets are fully functional (after I un-crossed the mic/mic-switch wires on the PAX side). I ran SWR tests across the whole COM spectrum on the flat-foil antennas imbedded in the canard and wing, and was please to find SWRs in the 1.6 - 3.6 range. I've tried out both ICOM-200 radios on the local Ground Control frequency and get strong reports. The King audio panel and two place audio intercom check out. I'm going to use the NAV antenna in the wing for the ELT since I have no VOR devices on board. The Dynon D10A EFIS and it's associated roll-servo seems to be functional properly. Forward of the firewall the battery-master contactor and starter contactor respond appropriately. And, the Endurance Buss (E-buss) seems to be functioning appropriately. Still need to check-out the transponder and several of the sensors on the Electronic Engine Monitor (36 channels in all). The sensors will have to await engine re-installation.

Then on to the fuel system. It's been fully installed and checked before. Now I must put it back together and check for leaks, flow, and calibrate fuel level sensors. Then the new wheel axles (steel with electroless nickel plating). Followed by bleeding the hydraulic toe-brakes. Next, make permanent the (quick) connects for static, pitot and Angle-of-Attack pneumatic lines. I'm not sure the AOA feature built into the Dynon's pitot system will be of much use given the full span ailerons/flaps. I'm hoping it will be at least useful over a narrow range of speeds near the low power "pitch-buck" (landing) configuration.

January 18, 2015: A good deal of November and December were consumed in family events. Ten days around Thanksgiving were spent on a drive though Berkeley with a stop to visit Greg and Linda Urban, and Grace Fretter, and thence to Los Angeles with Deeya, Juancarlos, and Galen. Christmas/New-Years was spent on the East Coast with Jaull, Mahshid, and Haley and her boyfriend, Sam. Beside wandering the streets of Manhattan and museum hopping, we took the ferry ride out the the Statue of Liberty. Despite a lifetime of viewing photographs of the statute, I was not prepared for how magnificent it was in person.

Everything behind the seat back bulkhead is now finished: Ailerons are hooked up to the dual side sticks and functioning smoothly. Rudder peddles and cables are all in place with quick-connects at the fuselage split line. The reflexor mechanism is in place and adjusted. The roll servo is installed and wired to the Dynon D10-A autopilot. The wingtip navigation and strobe lights installed and wired. The dual head-set connectors are installed and wired to the radios and the shoulder harnesses are installed. All the mechanical components are cleaned, lubricated, and appropriate fasteners and safety devices (wire, cotter pins, etc) applied.

Next is the cockpit; hook up the elevators to the dual side sticks and pitch-trim, connect throttle, carb heat, cowl vent, belly-board and reflexor control. All of which have been previously install and should go quickly. Reconnect the fuel system and then drop in the pre-wired and plumbed instrument panel. At which point I'll be able to give the electrical system a complete shakedown.

November 7, 2014: I'm starting (re)assembly at the tail wheel and working forward. When I reach the spinner I'll be ready to fly. As of today I've reach the fuselage split line; all the rudder/tail-wheel cables (dual rudder peddles) are in place with the quick disconnects at the split line, and adjusted. The transponder antenna is installed and wired with a connector at the split line. The static port line is connected to a quick-disconnect at the split line.

Next install the rudder/tail-wheel lines to the rudder peddles and then move on to the ailerons and associated linkages to the dual side sticks, roll trim, reflexor and reflexor control cable, and autopilot aileron servo.

October 12, 2014: The Q2 is out of Steve Green's paint shop at the Jet Center, and in the Fly By Night club hanger at the Medford Airport (KMFR). Final (re)assembly has begun.

September 4, 2014: The Q2 is off to the paint shop, and thence to a hanger at the Medford Airport (KMFR) for final assembly and flying off the 40 hours. I chose the Medford Airport for its 10,000 ft runways.

We put in an offer on 2/3rd of an acre for a home site. The offer was accepted and we're in escrow, now. The lot is the size as a football field, 100' by 300'. Surrounded by mature trees, it is one the south-west edge of Medford. There are three old small structures that need to be torn down. We're looking forward to having city services: water, sewer, gas, fast Internet. For the past twenty-two years we've been on wells, septic systems, and bottled propane. The plan is to build a home very similar to the structure that servers, in part, as my current shop and Kathy's studio. As currently envisioned, about 3/4s will be house and a quarter will be shop/studio. We have one more month here at the Ashland Mountain House and then, hopefully, to a rental next door to our new property.

July 18, 2014: It's been a more than a year and a half since my last posting. But, that doesn't mean that there was no progress on the project. But, more about that later.

2013 was our ninth and final year as a B&B. We closed our doors on November 5th 2013 and then spent the next six months getting the Mountain House ready for sale as a residence. We had intentionally taken the winter of 2012 and early spring of 2013 off, starting with Thanksgiving and Christmas with the kids in Los Angeles and New Jersey.

In March of 2013, Galen and I set off on a motorcycle trip with the intention of driving down Hwy 1 along the Pacific Coast to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, Galen had an accident near Gualala on the north coast of California and broke his right ankle. It was one of those newbie accidents; he was pulling off to the side of the road in order to have a conversation and at relatively low speed (15mph?) hit a patch of gravel. He almost managed to step off the bike as it went over, but his right foot got caught under the bike.

During the first half of May (2013) Kathy and I flew to Gothenburg, Sweden to visit Kathy's sister, Mary, and her husband Acke. The trip included three days in Stockholm, my first time. What a beautiful city!

The fall of 2013 included the now regular pilgrimages made to Los Angeles for Thanksgiving and Baltimore/Cranford for Christmas (as we had the previous holiday season of 2012). We watch Haley graduate from Johns Hopkins School of Nursing as an RN. She'll be continuing on in the Nurse Practitioner program while working at the University of Maryland hospital in Baltimore. Jaull and Mahshid are well underway in the Restaurant/Farmer's Market project. Called "The Roselle" after the community in which it is located, it is a massive project. They got their $3 million dollar bank funding approved just a few weeks ago.

I took two trips this past winter; one in January (2014) with Galen to Guatemala where we spent some time in a Spanish language school and some time just traveling about. The second trip, in February with Haley, to Costa Rica. We headed out to the Pacific Coast town of Quepos and the Manuel Antonio National Park.

The big news is that we put the the Mountain House on the market on May 1, 2014 and it sold in two weeks. I have four months to get the Q2 project ready to go to the airport. And, oh yes, find a place to live and take apart my beautiful shop!!! We're still talking about what and Where we want to do next!

Now, concerning the Q2: The electrical system is now complete. Engine control cables (throttle and 'choke') are installed. Cowl flap cable is install (just waiting for a cowl flap to attach it to). Fuel system is finished and hooked up.

Still to go: Reflexor control, Belly Board control, and finish-up the elevator linkage. Then an engine cowl.

At some point I've got to work up my nerve and put fluid in the brake system and start the engine. I'm working several hours, seven day a week, on the project!!!..

Nowhere near enough time.....

November 8, 2012: It's been a busy season at the Ashland Mountain House B&B. I continued to make progress on the Q, though less and less as the season wore one. The instrument panel is completely checked out and all the connectors are installed including to the engine monitor. All the firewall forward wiring is complete and checked out, and much of the cockpit wiring is done. The last bit of fuel plumbing is in progress (header tank to carby), and the elevator linkages with pitch-trim are in progress. It's my fervent hope that I'll fire up the engine before the end of December. If that is the case, I'll have an engine cowl to make to complete the project.

May 20, 2012: The instrument panel is complete and wired. I've put power to the Dynon EFIS D10A, the Turn Coordinator and the Stern Pulsar 200 Engine monitor. Next comes the audio panel and intercom, twin IComm 200 radios, the Microair transponder and finally the Bendix/King AV8OR Ace GPS. Like so may projects, I selected my avionic much sooner that I should have, about eight years before I needed to. Such is the hubris of the builder, always believing there'll have more time and the job easier. The Dynon fired right up but it turned out that the external magnetometer I'd been sent was the wrong one. Dynon turned out to deserve it excellent reputation, and without skipping a beat asked me to return the magnetometer and they are sending the correct one. Amazing! this is eight years later! The Stern Pulsar also fired right up, the internal lithium 'coin' battery that keeps the clock running had long ago exhausted itself and I'll need to replace that. Hopefully when I do I'll be able to communicate with it on the serial setup port. The T/C spun right up and seem to be running properly. My panel is easily removable, so I'm using connectors instead of hard wiring it to the aircraft. There are 30 wires going to the EFIS (wing leveler) and audio panel, and another 40 or so to the engine monitor.

Deeya and Juancarlos came up for five days, last week, and retrieved their Airstream trailer from the hanger. So there is a big empty space for me to fill!

Kathy is providing relentless encouragement to have the Q finished this fall. She sees it as a way to get down to Los Angeles to see the kids. in less that an eleven hour drive... We'll see. I've never wanted to set a date, but .....

January 30,2012: I've constructed a map drawer for the instrument panel, a place to stow folded sectionals, and painted the panel. It's time to mount all the instruments and do the plumbing and wiring. The carburetor control cables (throttle, choke, and carb-heat) have been designed and parts are on order.

January 15, 2012: The B&B season ended following the first week in November. It was a very good year from the financial perspective, within spitting distance of our best pre-crash numbers so maybe the economy is on the mend. Almost immediately we headed off for a 10 day Thanksgiving visit with our daughter, Deeya, her husband Juancarlos, and our son, Galen in Los Angeles. That was quickly followed by a 10 day Christmas visit to the east coast with Jaull, Mahshid, and Haley, including a first time visit to Baltimore with Haley who is applying to Johns Hopkins' Nurse Practitioners program. I loved the Baltimore Crab Cakes, and the aquarium, and wandering NYC on two different occasions was not only great fun, but the 8 hours of walking provided the exercise I needed to take my recovering leg to the next level of healing. I did get the oil cooler plenum designed and fabricated it, but that was about all.

The last two weeks (first two weeks of January) has been spent in a whirlwind of activity installing the external oil cooler plenum and oil cooler, plumbing the Thermostatic Oil Cooling Adapter (TOCA), completing the design of the engine control cables (throttle, mixture and carburetor heat), and installing blast tubes on the Jabiru's cooling shrouds to blow cold air on the magnetos and voltage regulator. Still working on installing the pitch-trim and elevator controls.

This coming week I anticipate ordering the components for the engine control cables and painting the instrument panel, followed by installing and wiring/plumbing all the instruments/switches on the panel.

June 18, 2011: Less done during the past six weeks than I'd hoped. I'm installing the pitch trim system per plans. With that in place I'll be in a position to install the throttle/mixture/carb-heat cables.

I'm now cleared to put full weight on my leg which makes working on the project a lot easier. Had some problems with blood clots, but that seems under control, now. The B&B is running at capacity now and probably until the the end of October.

April 3, 2011: The small center panel is complete and it's time to pick a paint and color for the panel. Once painted, assembly (mount/wire/plumb) of the panel components can begin and it will be ready to install. Three major construction tasks remain (if you don't count exterior paint): Finish cockpit flight/trim and engine controls, finish electrical wiring, and construct the engine cowling. The first two are pretty straight forward.. The engine cowl is another matter. I don't have a good handle on how I'll go about making it..

The cataract removal went very well and I am delighted with the results The only time I use glasses is when I'm working with something "up closed". For everyday reading, computer usage and driving/flying I'm free of them. It will be interesting to see if I can have the 'must use glasses' removed from my drivers/pilots licenses. My left leg seems to also be healing fine. I hope starting April 15 I'll be cleared to start putting weight on it.

February 21, 2011: I've finished mounting the main instrument panel/radio stack, and am working on construction of the small center panel that connects the center armrest with the bottom of the main panel.This small center panel will have the fuel shutoff valve handle, choke (Jabiru 3300), and cowl flap control along with miscellaneous electrical switches (lighting, and fuel pumps). Once the center panel is complete I can paint all the various pieces of the instrument panel and begin all the wiring and plumbing. Simultaneously I'll be connecting up the engine controls (throttle, mixture, and carb heat).

This week I'll have the cataract in my right eye removed, and if it all goes as well as the removal of the cataract in my left eye, last year, I'll have the vision I had as a twenty year old, 20/15 in both eyes and very little use for glasses except for very close work (knock on wood!).

February 4, 2011: Back from the motorcycle trip in South America with a busted left leg (an oblique Tib-Fib fracture). The break is about two inches above the ankle, about an inch below the break that occurred 50 years ago (also on a motorcycle). It was such an unnecessary accident: we were in our third week after two weeks of mostly (800+miles) off road riding. Both Galen and I had taken minor spills at low speeds with nothing much more than damaged egos. We were back on paved roads and had come to a detour around some re-paving. I didn't recognize a pothole filled level with gravel for what it was and was just a bit slow when the steering gear locked to one side Damn! The trip was truly a once in a life time experience Galen, bless him, had purchased medical insurance for the trip which, with his careful steering, got us back home five days later and included multiple ambulances,1500 miles in a Private Lear jet with doctor and nurse, boutique hospitals in Buenos Aires, and first class tickets all the way home. When they were unable to get us first class seating on the final leg into Medford Oregon (necessary because my leg was cast almost to the hip), a chauffeured stretch Limo filled in the last 300 mile leg from Portland to home. Assuming no unexpected complications, I'll have a cast for three months. Bummer!

On the project front: I completed the avionics stack (two Icom 200As and an homebrew audio panel/intercomm, and am finishing the mounting of the panel to the fuselage. ( I wish I had two legs to stand on!)..

December 24, 2010: The instrument panel construction is complete and I've started the construction of an avionics stack. With completion of the avionics stack I will paint the Instrument Panel and then be able to mount the instruments/avionics and start the wiring and plumbing. Earlier I mentioned that I was planning to use a local sheet metal shop to laser cut the panel. When I took the final drawing in the price mysteriously tripled from $150 to $450. This caused me rethink my approach. I'm very pleased that constructing the panel similar to the plans method (fiber glass over 1/8" plywood core) has resulted in a panel every bit as professional looking as i had hope for from the laser cut panel with the added benefit that I was able to twiqued instrument placement as the panel construction progressed and of course the pleasure of having made it myself!

Kathy and I are departing for New Jersey, tomorrow, Christmas Day, to visit with our son Jaull and his wife Mahshid and our daughter, Haley. Following the Christmas holidays I'll be flying to Buenos Aires, to join up with our younger son, Galen where we are planning a three week motorcycle tour of Patagonian Chile and Argentina. We've rented BMW F800GS bikes for the the trip and I can hardly wait for the adventure to begin.

December 12, 2010: The past two weeks has seen an unexpected bust of activity. About two and a half years ago I met Philippe Blanc when he wandered into the Ashland Airport (S03) looking for flight instruction. Philippe, his wife Lara and their young daughter were visiting Lara's parents here in Ashland. They live on one of the Tahitian Islands where they own and operate a pearl farm. Philippe has an abiding interest in aviation and each time he and Lara have come to visit Ashland we've spent sometime working on his flying skills. No doubt I'd mentioned the Q2 project to him because two weeks ago he dropped by the house to tell me they were in town for the birth of their second child and to ask if I could use any help on the project, "maybe sanding" he said. Sanding! Can you believe it!? Every Q2 builder know about sanding. That interminable duty, need I say dues, the builder must pay in order to finish his project. Some builders have estimated that sanding consumes fully a quarter of the time spent on the project, and here was someone asking if he could help sand! Well, all other activities on the project immediately stop while I went into high gear to clean the shop of the summer's detritus and make space for Philippe. Since then he has come over almost every weekday morning. He built the fairing for the top of the vertical stabilizer, worked on preparing the cockpit for painting, applied six coats of Poly-Fiber's UV Smooth Prime to the top side of the plane and has now started sanding it in preparation for final painting.

On other fronts; After receiving an unexpected high quote for laser cutting the instrument panel I've decided to make it myself using techniques similar to those described in the plans. The basic panel will be a piece of 1/8" aero-plywood with fiber glass on both sides. I've also started installing the engine's oil cooler and will be using waste heat from the cooler to heat the cockpit.

With the project all covered with white primer I'm starting to have 'first flight" dreams!

December 5, 2010: Kathy and I spent 10 days over the Thanksgiving Holidays in Los Angeles with 3/4's of the kids (we really missed Haley!). Put all new wiring for a 40 amp 240 volt circuit in Deeya's new work shop (aka the two car garage), and Galen permitted us to play with decorating his amazing downtown LA loft over the Orpheum Theater. We also visited Linda and Greg Urban in Berkeley, and had lunch with Grace Fretter.

I've now released the instrument panel drawing to both a laser cutting shop and a water jet cutting shop. Waiting to get back quotes. A major clean up of the shop is under way in anticipation of painting the exterior.

November 18, 2010: As of the 31 of October the B&B season is over and I'm back on the project. Started priming the top of wings and fuselage and my main focus is the instrument panel.

October 2, 2010: The fuel system is largely in place and finishing awaits the installation of the throttle, mixture, carb heat, choke, cowl flap and pitch/roll/reflexor trim controls. The throttle quadrant (throttle, mixture, carb heat) has been installed and I'm running the control cables. The choke for the Bing Carby and the cowl flap controls will mount on the instrument panel lower center section and the pitch trim is pretty much per plans. The roll trim and reflexor controls are still being thought about!.

August 13, 2010: The hydraulic toe brake system is finish. I'm trying to work up my nerve to put brake fluid in it and test for leaks. Work progresses on the fuel system plumbing. Plumbing the pitot-static system with AOA for the Dynon D10A is a background task..

The Ashland Mountain House B&B is going full steam and taking up most of my time. We've earned our third Star from Frommer's Travel Guide (their highest rating) which make us one of about a dozen places to stay in all of Oregon. Pretty Cool!

July 8, 2010: I've decided to go with a gravity fed system from the header tank to the Jabiru's Bing Carburetor. More details can be found under 'Fuel System", above. I've flush the header and main tanks, begun the flow studies to make sure I can get enough fuel to the carburetor, and am now starting to plumb everything in. The B&B is operating at full capacity, which is a blessing, but does cut into available time for the project. My 1986 BMW R80ST is ready for the summer riding season. LIfe is good!

June 3, 2010: Deeya and Juancarlos have purchased and moved into their new (old) home in Altadena, California. It's a wonderful early 1900 Craftsman style.

Work on the Q continues. A throttle quadrant is on order.. The plans for the instrument panel have been finalized. I'm still fretting over the exact fuel line run from the header tank to the carburetor. I have to fit a cut-off valve, fuel filter, aux. fuel pump (to back up the engine driven pump) and fuel flow sensor. So much stuff! So little space!.

May 15, 2010: Jaull, our eldest son, came out from New Jersey this spring and we had a great 10 days hanging out. He put in a vegetable garden for us and we baked bread together. Spring seems to be a month behind, so I hope the tomatoes plants survive.

April 17, 2010: The work load at the Bed and Breakfast has been light the past six weeks so excellent headway has been made on a combination of finalizing the design of the instrument panel and finishing the firewall-forward work.

So far I've installed; the motor-mounts and engine, the intake air induction system with carburetor heat air-valve, the crankcase ventilation hoses and oil catch bottle, the battery (it's going to be on the firewall), electrical master contactor, engine starter solenoid, and wired all those items together, along with the magnetos. I've also fitted the cooling shrouds to the engine and installed the brake fluid reservoir.

Yet to go are; the oil cooler, heat muff for carb heat and cabin heat, carb air filter, throttle and choke controls, and fuel lines. (Yes, I know! It seems endless!)..

I've been planning to do all the sheet metal bashing for instrument panel myself, and then a friend and master welder, Jeff Sterling, introduced me to modern sheet metal manufacturing methods. It turns out that since I designed my instrument panel in a cad program (Siemens' Solid Edge Free 2D drafting program) that it's an easy and not very expensive step to have it laser cut. Since there are over 100 holes in the panel, and quite a few are not simple round holes, I'm going to give it a try.

I had the cataract removed from my left eye, and WOW! am I a happy camper! I now have 20/15 vision (just like when I was twenty) everything is bright and clear from extreme distance to about 18 inches. I use the computer and can read sheet music without glasses and only use the mildest reading glasses for very close up work. I can hardly wait to have my right eye done next year!.

It sound like Deeya and Juancarlos are going to be able to buy the house in Altadena!

March 6, 2010: Back from Mexico, and back on the project, finishing up the intake plenum. We flew down the west coast of Mexico, Guaymas, Puerta Vallarta, then inland to Guanajuato for a few days. Then back northwest to Alamos, Ciudad Obregon, and back home by way of Calexico, and Delano.

February 6, 2010: We've returned from a two week vacation in Istanbul Turkey. We had planned three weeks, but Kathy developed a sinus infection and when the local docs started talking "operations" we decided to skidaddle home. She's doing better now, on a full 21 day course of antibiotics.

I've install the firewall protection (Fiberfrax and aluminum sheet), completed design of the engine air intake plenum and started it's construction. I've got a pretty good idea about where the other firewall components (air filter, alternator regulator, starter solenoid, hydraulic fluid reservoir, cabin heat box, etc) will be placed. Still thinking about the oil cooler. Once all the firewall components are mounted and wired/plumbed I'll either start the engine cowl construction or work on the instrument panel, maybe both.

I'm planning a two week flying adventure the later half of this month in Mexico in my Cessna 182 with friend and pilot John Kolsbun, so building will slow a bit.

December 14, 2009: The final location of the engine (centerline of the crankshaft) has been chosen; 9.1" from the top of the firewall (approx. 1-3/16" lower than the RevMaster). This location makes it work with the Jabiru 200 nose bowls and will give me just a little bit better view over the engine cowl. I can now make significant headway, firewall forward.

December 11, 2009: It's clear that I'll have to lower the engine about an inch. (see Engine Compartment above). I've finished modifications to the engine cooling plenums that came with the Jabiru 200 style nose bowls. The modifications include adding mounting lugs for the spring tie-downs, adding baffles at the bottom of the inlets to direct airflow up over the cylinders/heads, and adding small aluminum plates that reinforce the cooling plenums where the valve cover bolts attach the plenums to the cylinder heads.

November 7, 2009: Mounted the engine for a trial fit. Much to my relief, the weight & balance seems pretty close. At least it didn't fall on its nose! The hydraulic cylinder on the engine hoist failed moments after I tightened the critical upper engine motor mount bolts!

November 5, 2009: Trial fit the motor mounts.

November 2, 2009: Drilled the motor mount holes in the firewall and made the four backing plates. Cut out the Fiberfrax for the firewall.

November 1, 2009: I've located the position of the motor mount on the firewall. Tomorrow I'll drill the holes. I'm using the motor mount designed by Paul Spackman for his Jabiru installation.

October 31, 2009: The season is over! and I've back to work on the Q2. Today I determined the location the Jabiru 3300 crankshaft on the firewall. I've decided to located it at the same position as the Revmaster (VW) engine (7.9" down from the top of the firewall, according to my reckoning). Next I have to position the motor mount.

September 30, 2009: I've completed sanding the top and am ready to prime. Time has been in short supply as we have running completely full at the B&B. I've decided to do some of the firewall forward work before priming the top. The truth is that I'm am very tired of sanding and have rationalized that I'll just ding a new paint job working on the engine installation.

July 13, 2009: I've completed priming the bottom, and five of us flipped the plane. Now I'll prime and sand the top and then off to the paint shop. I learned a lot about finishing. Too little is said about the value of using a guide coat to help you see the imperfections in the filler. I did far too much sanding of the primer before I used a guide coat. I could have save a third of the time if I'd applied the guide coat sooner.

June 13, 2009: I've completed rolling on six coats of UV Smooth Prime (high-build sandible primer) on the bottom. After the sanding, a guide coat, and more standing it will be time to round up four strong friends and flip it over so I can do the top side. Then off to the paint shop!

We're approaching high-season here at the B&B, so time is of essence. Also, Deeya, our daughter, has announced that we are to be first-time grandparents this coming January; an additional motivation to get the Q flying, as they live 650 miles away.

May 16, 2009: Mounted the the pitot tube stand-off (post?). Sanded all control surfaces with 120 and 180 grit. They're ready for primer. Sanded bottom surface of airframe with 120 grit, and tomorrow I'll sand it with 180. Then I won't have any more excuses for not applying the primer.

May 10, 2009: The control surfaces are fitted and the the fairings at the roots of the canard are complete. I'm now working up my nerve to apply the primer. I'm using the Poly-Fiber UV Smooth prime, high build sandible primer.

The instrument panel layout is complete and committed to a CAD program. Time to start cutting.

January 11, 2009: Now it's the final fitting of the control surfaces (ailerons, elevators and rudder) before I apply and sand the first six coats of high-build primer on the bottom.

December 15 , 2008: I've finally decided on the layout for the instrument panel and will start fitting all the instruments. I cut out full size images of all the panel components and made a cardboard panel. That made it easy to push things around until a pleasing and functional layout was achieved. Next I'll put it into a cad programs to derive the final dimensions.

Final fairing of the tail cone to the forward portion of the fuselage has proven to be a greater challenge than I'd image. My solution is rather contorted. I'll be posting photos and commentary under the "External Finishing" heading (above). My hope to have the first coats of prime on before the kids arrive for Christmas has been dashed.

I've constructed the pitot standoff bracket out of foam and fiberglass. Since I'm using the Dynon D10A EFIS, and want to take advantage of its angle-of-attack (AOA) capabilities, I'll have to use their pitot tube (head) with dual pneumatic lines.

July 10 , 2008: I have declared the sanding and filling stage completed and am now at the pinhole filling stage. After spraying the sandible primer on the bottom I will flip the plane and do the top.

On other fronts; in the middle of May I received special dispensation from Kathy and took a ten day trip to Beijing where Galen (our younger son) is studying Mandarin until the middle of August. We took a short trip to Mongolia on the trans-Siberian express where we spent a night in a Ger (Mongolian for Yurt) in a beautiful National Park. The food in China is absolutely incredible. And on yet another front, on the weekend of June 1 we flew to Philadelphia and watched Haley (our younger daughter) graduated from Swarthmore College!!!

The B&B is at the peak of it's nine month season. Looks like it will be the best year yet. The latest Frommer's guide has named the Ashland Mountain House as one of Oregon's 10 Best B&Bs, and as Oregon's most beautiful new historic B&B!!! Also, the Southern Oregon NBC television outlets, KOBI & KOTI, has featured the Mountain House on their "Oregon's Best" segment.

Once again I'm flying for the Forest Service during this summer's fire season, plus some charter and scenic flights, and flight instruction.

March 24, 2008: Another year has past since the last entry. The Belly Board has been fabricated and installed per the design by Bob Farnam and the fairing constructed on the bottom of the canard and around the Belly Board.

The B&B continues to be lots of fun, and I've been flying for the Oregon Dept. of Forestry during the last three summer fire seasons, doing Reconnaissance and Air Attack duties. Basically I chase thunder storms through the valley looking for lightning cause forest fires. Also a bit of Flight Instruction, Charter and Scenic Flights.

February 9, 2007: It's been almost two years since I've logged any progress, but that doesn't mean that no progress has been made. Indeed, sanding and filling has been completed with the exception of the small area surrounding the belly board which as all good Q builders know means I've been very busy. In addition I made and installed the engine cowl flange. I'm currently installing the belly board.

Since I do not have a factory made carbon fiber belly board, I have made one of 1/4" foam and fiberglass, closely following a design pioneered by Bob Farnam of 'six-pack' fame. Bob's belly board is mounted on the surface of the fuselage rather than the plan's approach of removing the outer layer of glass on the belly.

The B&B is up and running reasonably smoothly. Last year (2006) was a resounding success and we find that we enjoy being innkeepers. When we originally imagined this adventure, our big worry was dealing with the 'strange' guest. Well, I don't know where 'strange' guests go for a night's rest, but they don't seem to go to B&Bs. At least, not the Ashland Mountain House!

April 2, 2005: The carpenters are finally gone and I'm cleaning up the shop. Sawdust is everywhere. It does make the spider webs easier to see. It's all about filling and sanding, now.

We have our first paying guests this week-end. They are the great grandchildren of James Russell, one of the three founder/builders of the Mt. House. This May, a friend and I are planning a two or three week flying trip to Fairbanks, Alaska in my Cessna 182.

March 11, 2005: Talk about hubris! It is eleven months since the last entry in the log. We moved into the Mountain House at the end of August, (three months later than predicted), and we're at least a month away from opening the B&B, (nine months later than predicted). On the other hand, I'm in the new shop and as of March 1, back to work on the Q2, though I have to carefully guard the space because the carpenters enjoy it as much as I do, and will at every chance try to take over large amounts of space. The solar panels are in and hooked up to the hydronically heated concrete slab, which means warm feet; it's even better than I hoped. The fluorescent lighting's up, the hi-fi installed and hooked up to my old trusty pair of Bose speakers, and I'm Rock 'N Roll'N Yah000! The web cam was reinstalled today, and has been upgraded to four cameras coupled to the DirecWay satellite Internet connection. In the evening the satellite connection gets way overloaded and sucks, but during the day and late night it works pretty well. We've got a very nice write-up in the local paper.

April 28, 2004: After almost a year the the new shop is finished and I am arranging the contents. The Mt. House effort is well advanced and we expect to be able to occupy the rear section (the original timber framed stage coach portion) by the middle of May. The remainder should be available in early June. We're in the midst of a whirlwind effort to get the B&B functioning by July.

Jan 22 - Feb. 14, 2004: Took a three week flying trip through out Central America with long time friend Travis Fretter. We flew my Cessna 182 as far south as Panama. It was an absolutely fabulous trip.

August 26, 2003: The intermediate move to the Railroad District is complete except for some unpacking. Work on the new shop is dragging. Maybe it will be available at the end of September.

August 3 - 9, 2003: This is moving week. The sale of our current home is closing on August 7, and the Mountain House won't be ready until the end of the year. We're moving out of our current house into a rental property we own in the historic Ashland Railroad District, this week. The shop will remain here at our old home until the new shop is finished at the Mt. House property. Probably toward the end of September. I'll then move this shop. I don't know if I'll get any work done on the Q2 until I'm in the new shop, as I don't want to impose on the new owners and their willingness to let me kept all my stuff here in the old shop.

July 13 - 'till the end of the month: We're in Gothenburg (Goteborg) Sweden.

July 6 - 12, 2003: No progress. This week has all been related to our move and the Mountain House

We're still waiting, after 5 weeks, for the county to release our building plans for the Mountain House restoration and the new shop. 

June 29 - July 5, 2003: First layer of  filler went on to the tops of the canard, wing, and turtle deck. Filling of the bottom of the tail cone is 50%.

Kathy's finger is finally getting better. The pins/wire were remove last Monday and the discomfort has lessened considerably.

The footings for the new shop have been dug. Getting ready to build the retaining wall and lay down the reinforcing steel for the slab. Once the steel is in, I can install 1300 feet of PEX tubing through which I will pump warm water heat the slab which will make the shop far more comfortable during the winter. Then the slab will be poured.

June 22 - 28, 2003: Started filling and sanding on the bottom of the tail cone and the ailerons. I have some hope of getting the plane down to the paint shop by the middle of July before we take off for two weeks in Gothenburg (Goteborg) Sweden.

Kathy finger continues to cause a great deal of pain. Clearly worse than two childbirths! The pins come out on June 30.

June 15 - 21, 2003: Glassed the top left side canard root. Looks pretty good. Finished filling the elevators. Time to flip over the tail cone for filling and sanding.

Kathy's finger continues to heal, but is extremely painful. The pin and wire are to be removed on Monday June 30.

The pad for the new shop at the Mt. House has been leveled. We're waiting for the county to review the plans. They should become available on June27. Then it's full steam ahead!

June 8 - 14, 2003: Glassed in the top of the right side canard root fairing and finished shaping the left side canard root fairing in preparation for glassing the top side. I guess we're about ready to start the filling and sanding of the forward section of the fuselage and top of the  wing and canard. 

Kathy's finger is healing much faster than we had expected. The doctors took her off the portable infusion pump delivered antibiotic a week early.

All the contingencies have been removed by the buyer of our house, so it looks like we're going to have to be out of here by August 6th. The new shop won't be ready until at least the middle of September, so I'll have to take the buyers up on their offer to let me continue to inhabit this shop until then. However I don't feel I can come up here and work on the project. I'll just have to put a lot of effort into getting the new shop into shape. It's going to be pretty nice; almost twice the square footage (40'x36') of this shop and a heated concrete slab floor to boot! No more cold feet in the wintertime. The shell is to be  completed by the middle of August, and then I'll have to wire and plumb it (water and air), insulated the walls and ceiling, set up the slab heating system and put in some good lighting.

June 1 - 7, 2003: Not much accomplished this week. The top right side canard root fairing has be shaped. 

A lot of the week was spent traipsing between doctors offices and hospitals. The surgery on Kathy's finger became infected and the docs have put her on a high powered antibiotic delivered with a strap-on infusion pump. She'll have it for two weeks. It took about three days for the beneficial affects to kick in. Looks like the infection was caught before it got into the bone and she'll be fine. She's feeling much more cheerful, now. 

May 26 - 31, 2003: The first two days of this week were spent down in Pasadena with two of the grown kids. It was a nice flight in the Cessna 182; about 4 1/2 hours (vs. a thirteen hour drive).

Main wing root fairings are glassed in on the top side. I'll do the bottoms when I flip the fuselage over to install the speed brake and lower canard root fairing. The bottom left canard root fairing is shaped and ready for glass. Filling the elevators and rudder is 95% complete. Hopefully the next sanding will finish the filling them.

The engine instruments arrived this week. So now I get to start the final layout for the instrument panel.

The surgery on Kathy's hand went well, but boy does it hurt!

May 18 - 24, 2003: Sunday was Ashland Airport Day. It's the day when I call all my non-pilot friends and offer to take them for local flight. 

Main wing root fairings are finished and await glassing. Left canard root fairing is underway. Rudder and elevator is 80% complete. We're taking the four day Memorial Day weekend down in Pasadena to visit our daughter Deeya and son Galen

Kathy crushed her right index finger in the sliding door on our mini-van. Looks like she'll need surgery to fix a broke joint.

Wrote the first check for the new shop down at the Ashland Mountain House

May 11 - 17, 2003: Continue to fill and sand. Rudder and elevators filling is 50% complete. Tail cone is 80%. Main wing root fairings are underway. I switch around as I wait for the filler to harden.

The oxygen system installation is complete and the turtle deck has been permanently glassed in.

I'm about ready to order the motor mount. Just check'n my numbers twice.

May 4 - 10, 2003: Still more filling and sanding. Hope to finish the tail section by the end of next week. I'm getting faster, but Boy! this is going to be endless!

April 27 - May 3, 2003: More filling and sanding, interspersed with work on the oxygen tank installation. The shop's a real mess with all this sanding!

April 20 - 26, 2003: The foam-in-place fairings are going well. I'm particularly pleased with the fairing at the leading-edge root of the vertical stabilizer. 

A great deal of this week has been spent developing my filling and sanding skills. I've started at the rear of the aircraft and am working forward. Bob Farnam's 'put it on heavy and start with 40 grit' certainly works very well. 

The oxygen system components arrived this week and I'm fabricating the tank hold-down parts. If I get this right, it should be easy to extract the tank for refilling (or moving it to my Skylane) while keeping it tucked away neatly in the compartment above the main wing similar to Bob Farnam's installation.

April 13 - 19, 2003: Started on the wing and canard root fairings using Tap Plastic's X-30 foam-in-place urethane foam with heavy weight card-paper held in place with duct tape. The heavy card stock with the smooth surface turned inward, produces smooth curved surfaces which are easy to finish sand into shape.  X-30 produces a uniform small cell foam that looks and works like the white foam provided with the Quickie kits. It is very easy to sand and produces quite elegant fairings.

In parallel I have stated the finish body work, using West System 105 epoxy resin with 410 filler. It sands easily and comes highly recommended by several composite aircraft homebuilders.

I manage to score an 'C' size 170 liter oxygen tank and a pulse oxygen delivery controller for about $100 on EBay. With the Airsep pulse controller, which delivers oxygen only during the time your are inhaling, I should be able to get about 8 hours off a tank which will fit nicely in the compartment above the main wing.

April  6 - 12, 2003: The elevator flight control linkage is complete. Both side sticks have been connected along with the counter balance arms. Also the first weight & balance has been completed . I now know have a pretty good idea of where to position the Jabiru 3300 engine (see Engine Compartment page).

March 30 - April 5, 2003: The left side stick has been connected to the elevators. It was more difficult to make the connection than I had originally anticipated. My first problem was a failure to understand the geometry the linkage. It was a MathCAD document (also in Excel) detailing the geometry of stick-to-elevator geometry in canard aircraft, created by David Gall, that brought me around. Thanks again, David! 

Next I'll do the right side stick connection to the elevators. And I'm trying to get the shop cleaned up enough to allow me to rotate the Quickie 90 degrees so I can mount the tail cone and perform the first Weight & Balance.

The Mountain House project is begin to take up a lot of time, both directly and indirectly as we prepare our present home for sale. The current schedule calls for us to move into the Mountain House late this year. What we'll do between the sale of this home and the completion of the Mountain House remains to be seen. My Q2 goal remains that of showing up at the Livermore fly-in this August.

March 23 - 29, 2003: Mounted the two Aeroflash strobe power supplies and finished glassing in the mounts for the aileron servo motor. The second attempt at elevator balance arms have been welded up and installed. I think I've figured out how to make the connection between the two side sticks and the elevators. I'm trying to get the shop cleaned up enough so I can assemble the tail cone to the fuselage and perform my first Weight & Balance. This will give me an idea of how far forward the motor get mounted.

March 16 - 22, 2003: The Trutrak Digitrak aileron servo motor and the aileron trim mechanism has be mounted and connected to the ailerons. Work continues on the connection of the dual side sticks to the elevators.

March 9 - 15, 2003: Had the aileron balance arms and intermediate rudder cable bell crank welded up this week and have installed them. Preliminary balancing of the ailerons has been accomplished, but final balancing will be done after painting. Still struggling with the linkage between the dual side sticks and elevators. The first attempt at welding up the fittings didn't turn out right. A failure in my usually reliable spatial visualization skills, i.e. a SNAFU.

I'm trying to finish up the design for the new shop at the Mt. House, so build can started.

March 2 - 8, 2003: This week was pretty much consumed in Mountain House activities. We had about 3000 sq ft. of out-builds demolished along with a lot of concrete. I'm starting to plan the various systems; septic (waste), well (water), HVAC (ground source heat-pump). And, of course, the all important workshop with heated slab floor.

I manage to install the reflexor control cable and the cables from the (dual) rudder peddles  to the fuselage split line. Also started work on the elevator control linkage to the dual side sticks. The left side is quite straight forward, however, the right side has to sneak past the fuel filler tube. Haven't quite settle on a solution for that. The fuel filler door was fitted with a magnetic catch and key-lock.

Feb 23 - March 1, 2003: My current plan is to work my way forward from the fuselage cut line, completing everything as I go. I cut steel tubing to be welded up for aileron and elevator balance arms. The static line has been installed forward of the split line with quick connect fittings at both the split line and the instrument panel.

Deeya, my oldest daughter and very talented graphic artist, has agreed to help design the paint scheme. I lined up a painter, Steve Green at the Ashland airport. He came up to the shop and looked over the project making suggestions about finishing. I've been fooling around with X-30 foam-in-place urethane for fairings. Just little test pours to get use to working with it. 

Feb 16 - 22, 2003: Rudder cable parts arrived and installed in the tail cone. The Static line has been installed with quick connect fittings at the split line. Tail cone complete! Ran electrical wire out the wings to the navigation/anti-collision lights. Also installed the Nylo-Seal brake line tubing and pitot tube.

A lot of work has been going into to the planning for our new residence, the Barron Stage Coach Stop, aka Mountain House. During the application process for the Nation Historic Registry, we discovered that the rear portion of the house is older than the front portion. It was built in 1852, making it the oldest framed structure in southern Oregon. Pretty cool! The front portion is a two story addition built in 1887. 

Feb 9 - 15, 2003: The rudder cable parts arrived and I installed the cables. Then realized that I had used stainless steel cable and copper Nicopresses instead of the zinc plated Nicopresses that are compatible with the stainless steel cable. New order to A/C Spruce and another week of waiting for parts and completion of the tail cone. Started work cleaning up the cut between the tail cone and fuselage. Getting ready for the final mating.

Feb 2 - 8, 2003: The intermediate rudder bell crank is complete and I'm waiting for some rudder cable parts from A/C Spruce. The transponder antenna has been fabricated and install in the tail cone. Once the cables are installed, the tail cone will be complete. I also, installed the shoulder harnesses and seatbelts. 

Next week I should complete the rudder cable installation and will fabricate the aileron balance arms. By the end of the week I may be ready to take a preliminary weight & balance, which will give me some idea of how far forward of the firewall the engine needs to be. 

Jan 26 - Feb 1, 2003: The rudder was installed this week. Next week I'll construct the intermediate rudder bell crank per Bob Farnam's design. And, then install the rudder cables. I'm still agonizing over which Engine Monitor and EFIS (Electronic Flight Information System) to use. I'm leaning toward PCflightsystems

Jan 19 - 25, 2003: My mother-in-law Dorothy Spencer Larner passed away on Monday a few weeks short of her ninety-first birthday. She was a remarkable woman, a Greek and Latin scholar, a librarian by profession, and a far better mother-in-law than I ever deserved. Always supportive, never critical, she was called Amie', the French word for "good friend", by her grandchildren. A name she well deserved. She will be remembered and missed.

Jan 12, - 18, 2003: This has been a week of small accomplishments. A float switch which will activate a warning lamp has been installed in the header tank. Small fiberglass details cleaned up behind the instrument panel. The top of the vertical stabilizer closed out with floxed corners and a single layer of BID. Navigation, position, and strobe lights mounted on the main wing tips. Electrical components were ordered along with a transponder, altitude encoder, ELT and two radios. Most of it has been received. 

Next week I will again attempt to install the rudder.

Jan 5 - 11, 2003: The vertical stabilizer installation is complete and the rudder installation started. Various small components ( fuel pumps and filters, rudder peddles and master cylinders, header tank float sensor, fuel lines, etc.), are being mounted down in the hell-hole (behind the instrument panel). Next week the rudder installation will be completed and rudder/tail-wheel control cables installation started. Also, avionics and electrical system components will be ordered.

Dec 29 - Jan 4, 2003: This week the tail cone was attached and the tail-wheel put in place. Next week the vertical stabilizer will be install, along with the rudder. Then the rudder/tail-wheel control cables will be installed in the tail cone.

Dec 22 - 28, 2002: Most of this week was spend celebrating Christmas. My sister-in-law Mary Larner joined us from Sweden, and our son Galen from Cal tech. So, it was a most joyful time for Kathy, Haley (our daughter), my mother-in-law Dorothy Larner and me!!!

Elevators were installed and I've started installation of the brake lines and pitot line. Next week I'll finish up the pitot and brake lines, and hopefully get the tail section installed and start work on the vertical surfaces and tail wheel. Panel instruments are starting to arrive, and the belly-board is a back-ground task.

Dec 15 - 21, 2002: The canard attachment will be completed this week including the internal fuselage stiffeners. 

Dec 8 - 14, 2002: The fuel system is as far as I can go until the canard is installed. So, this week the canard gets mounted. The instrument panel is still the back ground task.

Dec 1 - 7, 2002: Rudder peddles (dual) and master cylinder installation is complete and I'm working on the fuel system plumbing this week. The instrument panel is the background task. Once the fuel plumbing is complete, hopefully this week, the canard will be installed permanently and it's on to tail cone work. 

The Barron Stage Coach house closing happens this week! We'll do a bit of work to ready our home for sale next spring and start planning the restoration project. The restoration project includes a new shop with a geothermally heated concrete slab floor!!!

Nov 24 - 30, 2002: I spent this past weekend down in Pasadena visiting my eldest daughter, Deeya, and my youngest son, Galen. Galen plays in the joint Cal tech-Occidental wind band (trumpet) and the occasion was the Fall Concert. 

The layout and components for the rudder peddles and master cylinders installation is complete and ready to be installed. This weekend I installed a pair of electric hoists, one attached to the fire wall and one just behind the main wing. What a labor saver! Harbor Freight, my favorite economy tool store, has them for about $80 each.

Nov 17 - 23, 2002: The brake caliper installation is complete and the rudder peddles and master cylinders are next. Laying out the instrument panel and plumbing of the fuel system are the background tasks.

Nov 10 - 16, 2002: Glassing of the wheel pants and mounting of one brake caliper is complete. The second brake caliper will be mounted this week, and then the rudder peddles and master cylinders will be mounted on the canard. First snow fell last Saturday night. I've got the pellet stove fired up to keep the shop warm.

Nov 3 - 9, 2002: The outer outside of both wheel pants have been glassed and I'm start starting the inner outside today, Sunday. By mid-week I should be installing the braked calipers and brake lines, to be followed by rudder paddles and master cylinders. Then the canard gets mounted. The fuel system installation and  instrument panel layout are engaging side efforts.

Oct 27 - Nov 2, 2002: In between getting our ducks in line for purchasing the Barron Stagecoach Stop, I'll start the wheel pant lay-ups.

Oct 20 - 26, 2002: This week was a whirlwind of non-Q2 activity. We place a bid on a piece of historic property 5 miles south of Ashland. In 1859 the Barron Stagecoach Stop was the first stop at the southern end of Oregon in Oregon's Rogue Valley. While traveling north, having passing through the convergence of the southern most extent of the Cascade Mountains and the Trinity Alps, travelers would stop here, over night, about 15 miles north of the California boarder. Our offer was accepted for the 6.5 acres and  two original buildings. The plan is a total restoration and using it as a B&B. It's 3 miles east of the Ashland Airport (S03). 

I did get the NACA ducts hook up to the air vents on the instrument panel, and also constructed and installed the small airfoils that are positioned at the inlet mouth of the NACA ducts.

Qct 13 - 19, 2002: All that got done last week was the final shaping of the wheel pants. Going to start glassing them this week, hook up the NACA ducts to the instrument panel outlets, install a latch on the gas cap cover, and install the disk-brake calipers.

Oct 6 - 12, 2002: The final shaping of the wheel pants is almost complete. I've got to work up my nerve to apply the glass! The empty instrument panel is install and the hinged gas cap cover is now in place. I should finished shaping the wheel pants before I depart on another Flying Doctors mission to Baja Mexico Thursday through Sunday.

Sept 29 - Oct 5, 2002: The new wheel pants are now installed on the canard and final shaping and glassing will begin this week. The instrument panel is in progress, and a version with no instruments should be installed this week, also. 

Sept 22 - 28, 2002: Measured the spring rate of the GU canard. At 1" per 400 pounds (at the center of the canard), it is approximately 1/2 that of the LS1 canard. Final adjustment of the new wheel pants will be made to set them at approximately 3 degrees positive camber and zero degrees tow in/out. Work on the instrument panel proceeds with installation of the two side panels and plumbing of the NACA duct to eyeball outlets. This week should see completion of the wheel pant installation and commencement of wheel brakes, hydraulics, and rudder peddle installation. The weekend will be spent as chaperone for the Ashland High School Symphonic Band Camp.

Sept 15 - 21, 2002: The new wheel pants are ready to mount on the canard. Before I do that, I'll measure the spring rate of the GU canard. That will allow me to set the camber of the main gear such that when fully loaded I have zero camber, with slightly positive camber at reduced loads. The replacement NACA duct arrived and was installed last week. Now I can go ahead with instrument panel installation as a secondary task.

Sept 8 - 14, 2002: Work on the new 'pressure recovery' wheel pants continues with significant progress. I hope to mount them on the canard by next weekend. I'm starting to acquire flight instruments and avionics (radios, GPS, engine monitor) and do preliminary layouts. Musical activities quicken from the summer doldrums. Got to get my chops back in shape!

Sept 1 - 7, 2002: Canopy latches get installed this week. That will finish the canopy installation. Primary effort this week will be the new wheel pants. Once the wheel pants are installed a whole series of good things happen; the La Rue brake system gets installed, the canard mounted, the tail section gets bolted on and the Farnam rudder linkage gets hooked up (I'm using a Dragon Fly tail spring). I can then do a preliminary Weight & Balance which will let me determine the fore-aft position for the Jabiru 3300. Hopefully these things will be completed by the end of September.

Aug 25 - 31, 2002: This week starts out with the canopy finally on its hinges and one NACA duct in place. I ruined the other duct by over zealous preparatory sanding and will have to order another from Lancair. The canopy's gas struts go on this week and work commences on the new wheel pants.

Aug 18 - 24, 2002: The Livermore Tandem Wing Fly-in was great; a dozen aircraft and three times as many people. About equal numbers of Q's and D-fly's, and excellent Barbeque! Now to finish the canopy, plus some work on the NACA air ducts and wheel pants. Bob Farnam gave me an airfoil template which I think I'll use for the wheel pants. 

Aug 11 - 17, 2002: Back to canopy work. Then down to Livermore for the Tandem Wing Fly-in.

July 28 - Aug 10, 2002: I've rented a home in San Miguel Allende, Mexico until the 8th, then maybe a few days in the San Francisco Bay area. Don't forget the Livermore Tandem Wing Fly-in August 16 - 18. I'll be there!

July 21 - 27, 2002: It was great fun to see the kids. While in Pasadena I went to see the Gamble House, Hamilton Gardens, and an excellent Canadian film called Fast Runner. Now back to the canopy. I'm struggling over the placement of the gas struts which hold the canopy open. Ideally I would know the layout of my instrument panel so I could be sure there would be no interference problems between the struts and panel components. On Sunday it's off the San Miguel Allende, Mexico, for 10 days.

July 14 - 20, 2002: The gas struts and eyeball air vents have arrived, so hopefully the canopy will get installed this week and work on the two sub-panels, on either side of the main instrument panel, will commence. I have three days of Quickie work before we fly down to the L. A. area to visit Galen at Cal tech and Deeya in her new home.

July 7 - 13, 2002: While lay-ups cure on the canopy, I finished plumbing the tail cone static source, and made and installed a Bob Farnam style rudder/tail wheel bell crank in the tail section (I'm planning independent toe brakes). Thursday through Sunday this week will be spent on a Flying Doctors mission in Mexico. 

June 30 - July 6, 2002: The canopy is ready for mounting, and I'm trying to work up my nerve to cut the foam cores for the wheel pants. This will be a short "work" week as we have a holiday planned with family at Sea Ranch, along the northern California Pacific Coast. It has it's own airport, so we'll travel in our trusty C-182. An hour flight from home, Ashland, Oregon.

June 23 - June 29, 2002: Jazz camp was a blast! But, now back to working on the canopy installation and wheel pants redesign. I'm trying to figure out how to blend in a pressure recovery style pant with the canard-tip location.

June 16 - 22, 2002: This is Britt Jazz camp week, so just a little work on the canopy will be done. I play trumpet in various local small jazz ensembles and wind bands.

June 9 - 15, 2002: I'm alternating between work on the canopy installation and rebuilding of the wheel pants.

June 17, 1994: The shop is finished and the project moved in. I've completed reading all the Qtalk newsletters for the past 14 years and feel ready to start work on installing the bulkheads in the fuselage. Then I'll start work on the main and header fuel tanks.

August 15, 1993: I've started construction of a workshop here in Ashland. 24'x36', slab on grade, sheetmetal pole barn.

March 30, 1992: We've decided to move to Ashland, Oregon!

November 20, 1991: Purchased Q2 project from Mark Schrick. I think he is the second owner of this project. My understanding is that he did no work on it. The canard and wing, with factory foam core wheel parts, have been fiberglassed but are unfinished. The fuselage shells are tacked together. The installation of the bulkheads are next. Then build the Vertical Stablizer and rudder, and mount the wings and canopy and it should look like a aeroplane!.

We're still recovering from the big Oakland/Berkely Hills fire which came within two blocks of our home here on Colton Boulevard in Oakland California..